We have limited flours available on our online shop, restocked most days. If items say ‘out of stock’, they cannot be purchased and unfortunately we don’t have a waiting list. Orders are limited to 1 x 16kg sack or home baking flour multi pack variety, per person. Please don’t contact us until you’ve read our COVID19 Q&AS. We aim to dispatch in 7 working days and you'll receive tracking from DHL once dispatched. Thank you for your support and understanding.
A classic vanilla-scented sponge cake sandwiched with plenty of raspberry or strawberry jam. Add fresh berries and whipped cream for a special treat.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Baking time: 20 – 25 minutes
1. Heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/ Gas 4. Put the soft butter and sugar into a bowl and beat with an electric whisk or mixer, or a wooden spoon, until very light and creamy.
2. Beat the eggs and vanilla with a fork until well mixed then gradually beat into the butter mixture, beating well after each addition. Sift the flour onto the mixture and fold in with a metal spoon.
3. Divide the mixture between the two tins and spread evenly. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or a light golden brown and the sponge springs back when gently pressed.
4. Run a round-bladed knife around the inside of the tins to loosen the sponges then turn out on a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
5. Set one sponge upside down on a serving plate and spread with the jam. Top with the whole or sliced berries.
6. Whip the cream until it thickens and stands in soft peaks. Spread the cream over the berries then gently set the second sponge, golden crust side uppermost, on top and gently but firmly press down to sandwich the cakes. Dust with icing sugar.
7. Keep cool until ready to serve. Store in an airtight container in the fridge and eat within 2 days.
For the best results take the butter and eggs out of the fridge an hour or so before you start, and chill the cream well.
Makes one large cake - cuts into 12
For the sponge cake:
225g Marriage’s Self Raising flour
225g unsalted butter, at room temperature
225g caster sugar
4 large free-range eggs
½ teaspoon vanilla essence
For the filling:
4 rounded tablespoons good jam: raspberry, strawberry or blackberry
200g berries: raspberries, strawberries (hulled and sliced if large), or blackberries
150ml double or whipping cream, well chilled
Icing sugar for dusting
2 x 20.5cm/ 8 in sandwich tins, greased and base-lined