This quickly mixed batter is made from just flour, one egg, milk and a pinch of salt. Bake in a sizzling tin in a hot oven until tall, crisp and light.
1. Sift the flour and salt in to a mixing bowl. Add the egg and milk and whisk well until lump-free. Cover and leave to stand for about an hour.
2. When ready to cook heat the oven to220C/450F/Gas8 (or 210C/425F/Gas7 if the oven is already being used for a roast).
3. Put a little oil into the holes of the Yorkshire Pudding tin and heat in the oven until very hot, almost smoking.
4. Give the batter a stir then transfer to a jug; this makes it easier to pour into the moulds.
5. Carefully remove the tin from the oven and pour the batter into the hot oil in the moulds - it will sizzle.
6. Return to the oven and bake for about 35 minutes until a good golden brown, well-risen and with a crisp exterior. Serve at once.