It’s Pancake Day – so here are our tips for perfect pancakes!
· Use Plain flour for making pancakes (for something different, why not try our Light Spelt, Organic Light Brown Plain or Golden Wholegrain Plain flour.)
· For smooth pancakes, use a whisk rather than a wooden spoon if you’re mixing the batter by hand
· Once you’ve made your batter, give it a chance to rest, covered with clingfilm, in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before you use it
· When you’re ready to start making your pancakes - turn up the heat. Make sure your pan is hot when you start, then turn it down to a medium heat. Drop a small amount of batter into the pan to test whether it quickly turns to a golden colour
· Use a good quality, heavy bottomed non-stick frying pan – this will help you make thin French style crepes
· For even sized and shaped pancakes, use a ladle or measuring cup to put your pancake mixture into the frying pan
· Be prepared to throw away the first pancake that you make – as a trial run
· Wipe the pan with kitchen roll between pancakes, rather than washing it out
· Serve immediately – then they won’t go soggy!
· If you make too many, pancakes can be frozen – place them in a freezer bag, separated by layers of baking parchment
Posted by Hannah