A lighter textured rye bread with an oat topping.
Preheat oven at 180°C fan/200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6
1. Mix together the flours, yeast, 25g oats, salt and mixed spice in a large bowl.
2. Stir in the honey and 250ml lukewarm water to form a dough.
3. Knead on a floured surface for 5-10 minutes until smooth, then place in an oiled bowl, cover and leave to prove in a warm place for 1 hour.
4. Knock back the dough and shape into a flat oval approximately 22cm long.
5. Roll in the remaining oats, place on a baking tray and leave in a warm place for 1 hour.
6. Using a serated knife, lightly make 5 cuts on the top of the shaped dough.
7. Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C fan/200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6 for 25-30 minutes or until golden.
For extra sweetness, gently fold 75g sultanas into the dough after it has been kneaded.