We have limited flours available on our online shop, restocked most days. If items say ‘out of stock’, they cannot be purchased and unfortunately we don’t have a waiting list. Orders are limited to 1 x 16kg sack or home baking flour multi pack variety, per person. Please don’t contact us until you’ve read our COVID19 Q&AS. We aim to dispatch in 7 working days and you'll receive tracking from DHL once dispatched. Thank you for your support and understanding.
Warm scones served with thick, clotted cream and jam are always a treat. Quick and simple to make, they are perfect for afternoon tea.
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C fan/ 220°C/425°F/Gas Mark 7.
2. Sift the flour, salt and sugar into a mixing bowl. Add the diced butter and rub into the flour using the tips of your fingers
3. When the mixture resembles fine crumbs, beat the egg with 100ml milk and stir in using a rounded bladed knife. Use your hands to bring the mixture together to make a ball of soft dough.
4. Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured worksurface and knead gently for a couple of seconds just to bring the dough together.
5. Roll out the dough to about 3cm thick and stamp out rounds with the cutter. Press the trimmings together, pat out and cut more rounds.
6. Set the rounds slightly apart on the baking tray and bake in the heated oven for 10 to 15 minutes until golden brown.
7. Transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool slightly. The scones are best eaten warm with jam and thick clotted cream.
To make sultana scones, make the dough then gently work in 75g sultanas before cutting into rounds.