COVID19 Q&AS for further information. Please note our last order date for Easter delivery is 24th March 2021.
The rich flavours and natural sweetness of beetroot and Golden Wholegrain flour add balance to dark chocolate and walnuts - great additions to a well-loved classic.
“I fell in love with Golden Wholegrain Plain flour the first time I baked with it” – Linda Collister, experience cook and baker, author of The GBBO Book of Baking
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Baking Time: 20 – 25 minutes
1. Heat the oven to 180°C, 160°C fan, 350 °F, Gas 4.
2. Sift the Golden Wholegrain Plain flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl – add any flecks of bran left in the sieve to the bowl. Put to one side.
3. Put the chocolate and butter into a heatproof bowl and melt very gently either over a pan of steaming water (don't let the base of the bowl touch the water), or in 10 second bursts in a microwave. Stir gently then leave to cool until needed.
4. Put the eggs and sugar into a large bowl and whisk until very thick and mousse-like, with an electric whisk or mixer. Whisk in the chocolate mixture.
5. Add the flour to the bowl and stir in with a plastic spatula.
6. Add the grated beetroot to the bowl with the walnut pieces, and stir in. When everything is thoroughly combined transfer the mixture to the prepared tin and spread evenly.
7. Scatter the cocoa nibs and salt over the top. Bake in the heated oven until a skewer inserted halfway between the sides and the centre comes out just clean - about 20 to 25 minutes. The centre should still be sticky. Set the tin on a wire rack and leave to cool completely before cutting. Best eaten within 48 hours, delicious served with natural frozen yoghurt.
Cuts into 24 slices
200g Marriage’s Golden Wholegrain Plain flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
A large pinch salt
200g 70% dark chocolate, broken up
200g unsalted butter, diced
3 medium eggs, at room temperature
175g light muscovado sugar
125g grated cooked beetroot
100g walnut pieces
1 tablespoon cocoa nibs
A large pinch sea salt flakes
A brownie tin, 20.5 x 25.5cm, greased and base-lined with baking paper