A delicious malted brown loaf, with the goodness of added bran and wheat grains.
METHOD – baking by hand
1. Grease the bread tin(s).Place the flour, salt, yeast and fat into a large mixing bowl. Mix the fat through the flour and make a well in the centre of the flour mixture.
2. Add most of the water to the well, keeping a little in reserve, and mix to a soft dough. Add the remaining water if necessary.
3. Tip the dough onto a table and knead for 8 to 10 minutes.
4. Place the dough back into the bowl and cover with oiled cling film or a damp tea towel. Rest in a warm place until the dough doubles in size. This will take approximately 45 minutes.
5. Split the dough into two pieces if desired. Mould the dough round and fold to the shape of the tin(s). Place the dough piece into the tin, seam down, cover with oiled cling film or a damp tea towel. Put in a warm place and allow to rise about 1cm above the tin. This will take 45-60 minutes.
6. Uncover and bake in a preheated oven, 220°C fan, 240°C, 430°F, Gas 8. Bake small loaves for 20-25 minutes or a large loaf for 30-35 minutes.
7. Remove the loaf from the tin. Check it is baked by tapping the bottom of the loaf - it should sound hollow. Place on a wire rack to cool.
For a sweeter loaf, gently fold 150g sultanas into the dough after it has been kneaded.
Preparation time: 15 minutes plus proving time
Baking time: Small loaves 20 - 25 minutes; large loaf 30 – 35 minutes
Makes 2 small loves or 1 large loaf
500g Organic Country Fayre Malted Brown flour
7g Dried fast action yeast (or 14g fresh yeast)
10g Fat or olive oil
7g Sea salt
275ml Lukewarm water